Toll Free: 800-535-2453
The owner Rich Goodenough conceived the guided safari downhill bike tour concept in 1983. Maui Downhill is a divison of Maui Bicycle Safaris, LTD, the oldest, most experience and most professional company in the business. Established in 1984, Maui Downhill has guided over 500,000 visitors down Haleakala from the summit to the sea, touring over 11 million miles on our custom-built bikes.
Maui Downhill offers a variety of safari bike tours. It is a breathtaking experience and there's nothing like it. Our tours and Hawaii-certified tour guides have been voted "Maui's Best Land Tour Experience".
Maui Downhill's goal is to provide each guest with a memorable experience of the most exciting environmental bike ride in the world.
Maui's unique topography provides our guests with palate of sights and smells as they bike down the winding road from the summit. The terrain ranges from the impressive barren lunar landscape of Haleakala's summit, through unexpected eucalyptus forests, past the island's protea and flower farms and through vast pineapple and sugar cane fields reaching to the edges of Upcountry Maui.
- Meet at our Kahului office located at 201 Dairy Road.
- Guests can enjoy hot beverages and pastries.
- Helmets and rain gear (if needed) are fitted to each guest for their comfort.
- Bicycle tour begins at the 6500’ elevation mark outside of the national park.
- The tour will gently descend the 21 switchbacks on the western slopes of Haleakalā (the world’s largest resting volcano). Riders will enjoy bi-coastal panoramas of Maui’s central valley and West Maui Mountains. Riders will enjoy the scent and sights of riding through pine and eucalyptus forests.
- There will be photo opportunities during the bike ride.
- Relax at the Maui Lavender Farm where guests could purchase a meal and/or snacks. Rest and enjoy the beautiful flora and views.
- Head back to the 6500’ elevation mark, to begin the 2nd portion of the bike tour. The second descent of the 21 switchbacks, continuing through the upcountry community of Kula and finishing above Pukalani.
- Tour duration: 5.5 to 6 hours (time could vary depending on weather and the riders abilities)
- A round-trip transfer from your hotel or accommodation, drive-in optional.
- Continental breakfast; pastries, hot fresh beverages and restrooms at our base office.
- Entrance fee to the Haleakala National Park is included in your tour.
- You will view sunrise from above the clouds and see the magnificent Haleakala Crater from atop 10,000' elevation.
- You will learn about the history of Haleakala, visit the Silversword plants, native endangered species and birds that have made Haleakala their permanent home.
- Your bicycle safari begins at 6500' elevation of Mount Haleakala, outside the park, where you will gently descend the 21 switchbacks on the western slopes of the world's largest resting volcano with only 200 yards of pedaling.
- There will be photo stops along your journey to take home Maui's magical moments.
- Enjoy a no-host lunch and rest stop.
- Safari van tour from Pukalani to the sea with information and history of Maui's sugar cane and pineapple plantation days.
- Bicycle helmets and windbreakers are fitted to each guest for their comfort and safety.
- Tour duration approximately 8-9 hours.
Cancellation Policy: Check this box to verify that you have read the tour description, and agree to Maui Downhill Cancellation, No Show and Refund Policy, which is as follows: If you have decided to cancel your reservation or need to re-schedule, please call our 24 hours Reservations 1-800-535-BIKE or our local office at 808-871-2155. All tour cancellations must be made 5-days prior to the tour date. Any cancellation within a 5-day period of the scheduled tour date, is subject to a $50 cancellation fee per person. You may re-schedule based on availability, 48-hours notice is required. Tours cancelled within 24 hours from scheduled tour date will result in a FULL CHARGE. No refund will be issued if you cancel a re-scheduled tour. There will be 100% charge for No Show (If you do not show up for the scheduled tour, no refund will be issued). You must be competent rider and please, no beginners. Sorry, no pregnant women allowed. Riders must be minimum 12 years of age. Riders must be 5 feet tall or higher. Maximum weight for bike rider is 250 lbs. No Riders may participate with medical conditions that would adversely effect them in this activity.